Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Scott McCloud really needs to take his own advice...

This morning, the dawn of NaGraNoWriMo, I was checking out the amazon.com page on Scott McCloud's Making Comics as it may come in handy this month. Glancing through the reviews I found this gem:

I have to agree with a previous reviewer --- Scott is mostly known for his entertaining educational comics series, but he hasn't had any REALLY successful comic books, so, although this new book is interesting and somewhat educational about comic book creation, I'm not sure he really has the authority to tell people how to make a successful comic. I mean, if Jim Lee wrote such a book, or Frank Miller, or Alan Moore --- I would believe their tips/secrets/advice wholeheartedly. I think I'd have more confidence if Scott were able to create a very successful comic book based on his own advice. I haven't seen this happen yet (I hope he does).
Maybe it doesn't count because it's so "educational" but isn't Understanding Comics one of the most universally revered graphic works of all time? I've had it suggested to me by several English professors when ever I've began spouting off my theories on the graphical nature of prose. Understanding Comics has never been out of print. I'd go out on a limb and say that it is the most successful non-fiction comic book ever (second only to Maus).

It really saddens me that someone would sooner take the advice of Jim Lee (whose creations are usually just X-Men rip-offs) than a proven comic scholar like McCloud. Maybe Zot! needs a Saturday morning cartoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm just amazed that this guy would want to read a how-to comics guide by Frank Miller or Alan Moore. As much as I love Moore, a book about how to create comics like his would be maddening!