Thursday, November 09, 2006

Hey, let's do some quick reviews!

Haven't done this for a while. Let's do a quick run-down of my week's picks. And because I don't care if you've read this stuff or not, SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Y: The Last Man #51 - The best series I've read since Bone and now I'm finally caught up to buying the monthly issues. Brian K. Vaughan brings pulls all the stops with this issue. It's one "WTF-I-can't-believe-it!" revelation and "OMFG-what-happened?!?!" plot twist after another. My only real criticism is that the theory on the plague's origin presented in this issue had best not be the truth, because that would be silly.

Batman #658 - Well, that was anti-climatic. Maybe I didn't read the right issue. Someone tell me that this "highly anticipated storyline" did not just come down to superhero baby mama drama. You're on notice, Morrison!

Teen Titans #40 - I can't help but find these One Year Later issues of Teen Titans incredibly confusing. So we've got a story about a traitor that revolves around a half dozen characters we've never met before. Since when is there a Captain Atom, Jr.? Why is there a Captain Atom, Jr.? Same goes for mini-Zatanna. But I do like Miss Martian. She's cute. And really ugly. In any case, I just want this story to be over so we can get on to the Teen Titans East arc.

Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways #4 - Okay, I'm only half way through this one, but I must ask how it is that the villain, who is an expert on the aliens of the Marvel Universe, did not know that breaking a Skrull's neck wasn't going to work? I can list my Skrull-starring comics read on two hands but even I know that snapping a shapeshifter's neck is never going to work. Seriously. Oh, and I love how this comic really only has one passing reference to Civil War. That's cute.

Doctor Strange: The Oath #2 - Brian K. Vaughan rules over all. Somehow he has made a character who I never gave two shits about into a really cool guy. This is definitely the best book I read this week, beating Y only because I didn't like all the zen crap. But vague occult mumbo-jumbo? I can eat that right up just as long as BKV is putting the spoon in my mouth along with his brilliant literary airplane sounds. Why is this only a mini-series?

No comments: