Monday, December 11, 2006

On Spider-Man's penis

I wish to go on record that I don't give a shit about the silhouette of a penis that appears in Spider-Man: Reign #1. Seeing a penis does not scandalize me. I have one of my own.

Now, I would love to see this same kind of outcry* for every time the outline of nipples or labia graces the pages of a superhero comic. Of course if that happened, comic book shops would be burning across the nation.

I also want to go on record as saying I don't care if the story is just like The Dark Knight Returns. So is almost every other Batman story since 1986. Shit, every plot in a comic released this week is bound to have similarities to a dozen other comics released in the last seventy years. Fanboys, and I use this term in the most derogatory way possible, have a very skewed idea of what constitutes as originality. The differences between Spider-Man and Batman are enough to make Reign interesting in its own right.

And I like the artwork, too.

*Well, it couldn't exactly be the same kind of outcry since most of the objecting voices come from homophobic fanboys who feel violated at the site of a penis other than their own.

No comments: