Monday, October 02, 2006

Quick Reviews

Amazing Spider-Man #535 - In case you're wondering which of the bajillion Civil War tie-ins in the best, it is without a doubt the "War Comes Home" arc in Amazing Spider-Man. Out of all the monthly tie-ins, ASM is the most directly connected to the main series and is also the most interesting. In this issue, after dwelling on the use of the Clone Thor (Spidey hates clones) as a secret weapon and the resulting death of Goliath, Peter demands as tour of the super-prison where all the superheroes and supervillians spend their supertime for supercrimes. For some reason, the prison got a make-over since its appearance in Civil War: Frontline #6, where is looked like a Nazi prison camp. Let's just say that Spidey didn't like what he saw. And I loved what I saw with the last page. No spoiler, but let's just say that the one thing I've been waiting for since Road to Civil War is finally going down.

Teen Titans #39 - I can safely say I have no idea what is going on. It's hard to keep the drama going with so many new characters who are nothing more than homages to the original, adult versions. Do we really needs Zatara or Captain Atom Jr? Miss Martian is cool though.

Batman #657 -Awesome issue. The best of Morrison's run so far. For months leading up to this storyline I was dreading reading it purely because it brings Son of the Demon back into continuity. Now, Son of the Demon is a fun story and I have nothing against Batman having a kid. What I don't like is having the kid hang around the batcave. It's simply.... troubling to me. I didn't even really like it when Bruce adopted Tim. I must be anti-bat-family. But this storyline is shaping up to be a good one, especially in this issue that showcases the dynamics between Damien (that name, yesh!) and Robin. Of course, it does leave me wondering how the Ninja Man-Bat Army plot is going to be resolved with only one more issue left in the arc.

Civil War: Frontline #6 - I really don't care too much for this series. It's nice to get so much Civil War every month (especially with the delays) but I have not connected to any of the stories in this series. To sum up this issue: Ben Urich nails Iron Man, the superprision is a death camp, Marvel is not above dropping lame JFK assassination references, and Iron Man's side is likened to Nazis. At least now we know who the bad guys are.

Justice League of America #2 - I must be so lame, because I think the best part of this issue is Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman giving commentary on different DC heroes. Some stuff is going on with Red Tornado and a bunch I villains I don't recognize. And there is a blurb from Entertainment Weekly on the cover. That kinda weirded me out.

No comments: