Thursday, November 16, 2006

Oh, so THAT'S what Sue heard!

I just got around to reading Fifty-Two #27 last night. Now I finally now that it was that Sue Dibny heard in her house just before she was killed, one of the more obnoxious plot holes of Identity Crisis.

It was just Ralph and Jean doing some time travel!

After reading the scene I couldn't decide if it was silly or just completely cheap. I told my wife that they were finally explaining the mystery sound and she just rolled her eyes and asked why Ralph didn't just stop her murder if he was able to travel back in time. That's a pretty good question considering his mental state. I'm surprised he was more concerned with punishing Loring than saving his wife, regardless of how bad it would screw up the time/space continuum. But maybe he just didn't want to fuck up the nice New Earth the DCU just got a few months ago.
Someone please, please tell me that someone at DC has claimed that this was "planned from the beginning" and was not just some quick, cheap and sensationalized clean up of a gaping plot hole that only served to distract the readers of the original mini-series. I would love to hear some editorial BS of the highest order.

Oh, and I don't like how the Question just suddenly has lung cancer. That is equally cheap. Boo!

3 comments:

Avi Green said...

I'm glad I'm not reading 52 myself. I've already decided that I won't dare to pick up the All-New Atom after I read the synopsis for the fourth issue, in which the university dean tells Ryan Choi that Ray Palmer is responsible for turning Ivy Town into Time-Warp Town! Insulting and flabbergasting are some of the best descriptions for that giant smack in the face to the audience. It's only made me more of a fan of both Ray Palmer and Jean Loring than ever. The current Orwellian trend in comics like what 52 and the All-New Atom are plunging into has had the effect of making me set what should be a worthy example for everyone by boycotting a considerable amount of books that subject the protagonists to character assassination.

I'm also finding it harder to credit writers like Rucka, Morrison, Waid and Simone if they're going to go along with this mess.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, that university dean has since been shown to be eee-vil and working with Dwarfstar, so anything he says has a good chance of being total bull. Have some faith in Gail!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you and Avi 100%. We're told over and over again how much Ralph loves Sue, but when he gets a chance to have her (and their unborn) back again, he seems to thinks it much more important to punish the "bad" woman than to help the "good" woman. Misogyny, anyone?

Rape at Arkham Asylum? Eclipso possesion? Imprisonment around the sun? Apparently there's nothing too cruel to punish those uppity bitches who insist on having their own careers. Maybe this will all work out and Jean will turn out to be White Martian in disguise. But I'm not betting on it.

*Sigh* Gail Simone used to be the standard bearer for women in comics. Too bad she's sold out.

Blue Jean